Thursday, January 28, 2010

Minutes for 27Jan 2010

Minutes for 27 Jan 2010 Meeting of Magically Piclicious VI

In attendance (in order from Danny going clockwise in the room):
P. Daniel Riederer
McNeil “Dad” Wells
Ben “New Guy”
Jen O’Bryan
Richard Wiggs
Stephen Wiggs
Johnny Reynolds
Dave Mekeel
Jack
Chris Niederer
John Stephany
Dan Gorline

I was drinking Stella (thanks Danny!). I know Stephany was drinking Bud Heavy and Dan High Life b/c I got them beers at some point. Chris was drinking Red Stripe which he brought along w/ Cool Ranch Doritos. Mekeel was drinking vodka and some kind of red Crystal Lite; he called it a “flour and sugar free diet”, but I call it an excuse to drink vodka on a Wednesday night. I don’t remember what everyone else was drinking.

The meeting was amorphous and filled with interruptions by McNeil as always, but here’s what happened, in no particular order:

1) Several former members (some of them longstanding) are leaving the team, either temporarily or permanently, for a variety of reasons. We will be sad to see you guys go. There has therefore been a shift in power, which has shaken out as follows:

a. Danny Riederer – de facto president. His duties will include being the Godfather of our group, supplying the beer and location for our meetings, and generally telling us what to do.

b. John Stephany – VP in charge of the roster and storage of our team equipment. There was some kind of convoluted story involving his condo downtown, some storage space, and a dead hooker, which means that our team “stuff” that has resided at E’s house up until now will now go into Stephany’s storage place downtown. We are going to subsidize the monthly fee w/ some team funds, to the tune of not very much (details were fuzzy). This will be better in the long run for several reasons, including but not limited to closer access to the park and not taking up E’s entire attic and garage.

c. Jen O’Bryan – Secretary/Treasurer. Will keep up with minutes (as you see) and the cash. I am now the “McNeil” of the group, but better looking. You should give/mail me any moneys you owe at any time. Receipts available upon request, for the low low price of a case of beer.

d. Jack Koban – Head Chef. Need I say more? He’s promised us a Top 20 finish, btw.

e. Dave Mekeel – Soux Chef. In other words, Jack’s Bitch.

f. Ashley Saucier – Presentation Coordinator. She will be in charge of our tent space for the presentation to the in-person judging. God help you if you track dirt in the tent after she’s picked it up.

g. Dan Gorline – Sergeant-at-arms (aka Team Bitch), he will be available during the day to do things that those of us w/ day jobs can’t get done. He claims he’s throwing boxes at FedEx, but I think he’s really stripping on the side.

2) Dues is $300. Everyone who has not paid needs to. Checks should be made out to Magically Piglicious and sent to me (Jen O’Bryan) at 2231 Madison Ave, Memphis, 38104. This needs to be done soon, certainly by the next meeting, which will be in about a month. You can just give me the checks at the meeting if you don’t like to use the USPS.

3) Membership is open. The rule for new members is: if they are your friend(s), you like them, and they can pay the dues, they can be members. An acceptable member would be your co-worker. An unacceptable member would be a friend of your co-worker that you don’t know but you heard was cool. It would also be nice if they can actually participate in team activities (meetings, set-up, cooking, tear down), but cold hard cash is always appreciated. Membership will include one 3-day wrist band (with the option to purchase additional @ a discount), some number of family tickets for Wednesday night (again, w/ option to buy more), one or two t-shirts (depending on if you are a “couple”), food all weekend at the fest, and all the freaking beer you can stand. If you know of someone who wants to be a team member, have them get in touch w/ John Stephany by the end of next week (john.stephany@gmail.com). Also, everyone who is a current member will need to email Stephany confirming his or her continued membership. This also needs to be done by the end of next week. The reason we need the numbers is that so we can set the budget. All you guys need to remember is more members = more beer.

4) The application will be sent in shortly. The “Big Hog” package is something we will pay for later, after we have gotten accepted (I spoke w/ MIM today about that). A big thank you to everyone who already paid so we could send in our application, and to our VP for fronting the difference.

5) Jack is getting a line on a smoker I think? Not too sure on this one. If anyone has a smoker, or knows a guy with a smoker, post to the blog or comment on this thread. Another idea we kicked around was purchasing a smoker to use from year to year; that will likely depend on what kind of budget we have.

6) We are not going to approach Pete and Jenny about cooking for us this year. Jack and the Daves did such a good job last year, that we didn’t see what the benefit would be to spend all the money on getting P&J up here – the hotel costs alone were almost two members’ worth of dues. If Pete contacts us about cooking, I don’t know if we decided exactly about what we would say, but it would be something along the lines of “come if you want but Jack is in charge of cooking and we aren’t paying for your hotel”.

7) We are entering in ribs, beans, and sauce.


The next meeting will be in late February. Items to be resolved @ that meeting: setting the budget; setting up teams and committees for the various jobs that will need to be done during the event; possibly starting on the menu (though this will likely get pushed to April’s meeting). I’d like to throw out here a suggestion that we have the meeting on a Saturday afternoon and have our cooks cook up the extra ribs from last year that McNeil has in his deep freezer. This will allow the cooks to practice together and try out some different techniques. We could do this later in the season if desired, or not at all if you guys are against eating good food.


Please post any questions or comments in the “comments” section. You can also email any team questions to the new team email magicallypiglicious@gmail.com If anyone wants author privileges for this blog, email me and I will add you. At some point I may make this blog private so only team members can view it; that was a suggestion made last night in case we start posting team info we don’t want our adoring fans to know. I can do this at anytime, you guys just let me know.


Yours in the Cooler,
JenO

12 comments:

  1. Now, is that in anyway related to Jersey Shore? don't go getting yourself thrown out of the Orpheum, but if you see that oompa loompa, Snookie, slap her once for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, disregard my previous comment. It no longer makes any sense with the omission of the place holder minutes post.

    I'll tell y'all what I know and I can update it as a real post at a later date if need be.

    I spoke with my man Bill earlier today. y'all may have met him briefly last year and if not you should all know from my prior post that he is in fact, my crawfish man. He runs Billy's Crawfish (www.billyscrawfish.com) call him, buy bugs, seasoning, oysters, etc from him. He's a good damn dude and he's hooked us up on prices more times than I can count.

    Bill is also the guy from whom that I was looking to get a smoker. He said that he'd be happy to lend it to us and made it sound like he would do it for free. He even said he'd drop it off at the fest for us if we don't have a big enough truck to pull it (we're talking an F-250 or bigger most likely), and I offered to pay him something to haul it or at the very least pay his admission into the fest and make him a t-shirt owning member.

    Since it can't possibly all be candy and nuts; here's the potential problem with the smoker. The sumbitch is huge. I'm talking we seriously need to find out if it'll even fit on our site. From the hitch to the ass end, this puppy is 30 feet long (with 26 feet of working/smoker space) and it's 8 feet wide. John says we're getting the same size space as last year and clearly that would be a tight squeeze. Let's also not forget that we need some room for cornhole/baggo.

    Depending on the shape/size of our space, we may need to keep looking. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for any decent, affordable smokers that can handle a dozen or so racks of ribs, because I truly think that buying one for the team would be a good idea. Store the bitch downtown in a self-storage place and let team members check it out during the off-season, or just leave it locked for 11 months, whatever. either way this is something that needs to happen eventually.

    That's all I got. if y'all need a pep talk see the weekly poop for some stupid BS that occasionally is funny. www.theweeklypoop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost forgot. People that want in on the team. many of you know them some of you may not. Here they are in order of how serious they are with my own personal estimation on percentage of dedication to joining in parentheses.

    Michael B. (100%) (Couple)

    Kevin and Rachel (100%) (Couple, duh)

    Chris S. (95%-he's been wanting in for 2 years. great guy, co-worker,
    couple)

    P. Colpits (80%-old college buddy, always at the boils, can certainly afford it)

    A. Steele (75%-he acted like anything over 200 bucks is questionable, but he has the dam money and is being a puss)

    Spence H. (50%-neighbor, good guy always at our boils-seems serious but haven't been able to talk to him in the last week or so)

    Yure B (50%-great guy, co-worker, wanted in last year but couldn't do to graduation he had to attend)

    Bobby W (40%-frat brother in Jackson, MS. expressed interest, but not sure he'll throw in the money to be a full member)

    That's all I can think of at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Steele has upgraded himself to 100%. For those of you who may be mathematically impaired (I'm looking at you, wife) that's 900 bucks of guaranteed dues that we can add to the budget.

    BOOM!

    Viva La Coola!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael and Kevin are already on the roster - I talked w/ her Wednesday.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet. Do you recall the size of the Tent/Floor? John told me that our site is going to be 40' X 26'. if it's a standard rectangle then we could probably make the big trailer work, but it all depends on the tent, and how much "yard" we want.

    I've also been looking into smoker prices and we are looking at anything as low as 1500 and as high as 10,000 (you can go a hell of a lot higher than that, but only if you plan on doing whole hogs for a living). For a practically sized, quality competition smoker, however; we're looking somewhere right in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tent is either 16X24 or 20X20, can't remember which - I would say let's not get a smoker that takes up the entire back of our space. We won't have room for bag-o or flip cup that way.

    How much to rent a smoker?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure about renting one, but I'll look around and see if I know anyone that can help us out.

    In the purchasing side of things, I looked into Jambo Pits (www.jambopits.com) and they have some really nice ones. Any of you who watch Pit Masters will know the Jambo name. The guy who makes them is one of the featured cooks and he won the rib contest in Vienna, GA (home of Jack's Old South).

    A lot of big time rib teams use Jambo Pits and they have a good range of prices for the same base model. It looks like they are all the same size and the price is dependent upon your features like chrome, paint, signs, etc. Basically most of the features are aesthetic and not functional except the obvious storage bins and such.

    Their economy model is 5500 I believe. Nothing we need to rush out and buy (or could probably afford anyway), but maybe down the road it may be worth it. Especially after we win some money this year, bitches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just a little blog that has a bunch of different smoker makers listed. if anyone knows about any of them feel free to chip in on the thread.

    http://whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com/2006/06/bbq-suppliers-pit-builders.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been looking around on ebay during my downtime at work (thanks IT guys!) and I've seen a few smokers for some good prices i.e. under 2 grand. There's one that a guy in Nashville is selling for 1899 and it looks pretty nice. At the very least it looks to be freshly painted and would likely make a good team smoker. the only problem is that we'd need to pick it up and that's a long ass round trip. Since I don;t have a clue about our budget, I'm not moving on it or anything, but I may at least see about contacting this dude to get some details about it. I mostly just wanted to give everyone the heads up n case they were looking for a place to shop around.

    In other news, I've been playing around with BBQ sauce recipes. I'm not sure who's planning on doing the sauce competition for us (rumor has it Rachel makes a pretty mean sauce), but in case we haven't got anything to go on, I have at least found a good vinegar based sauce that we can use as a starting point.

    I got the recipe off the side of a bottle I bought down here in LA and it's actually pretty good. Like I said, it's something to tweek and base our sauce on if need be, certainly not a winner by itself. It uses cane syrup, cane vinegar, yellow mustard, a little hot sauce and worchestershire sauce. If anyone wants to try their hand at sauces and wants the whole recipe let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. E just reminded me that Pete used Stiles's smoker 2 years ago. The team rented it from him for $200. E can put us in touch with Stiles if we want to go that route.

    ReplyDelete